Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Dos and Don'ts After an Autism Diagnosis

My kids (left to right): Tate, Titus, Emily, Isaac, Sydney (above), Regan, Levi, Bailey
Over ten years ago, my son Tate was diagnosed with autism and my life was forever changed. I am regularly asked for advice from parents of children newly diagnosed with autism. The diagnosis can be intimidating and parents are sometimes unsure of where to turn or what to do. I don’t have all the answers. But I do remember the panic, fears, denial, and the distress I felt when my own son was diagnosed. I know now so many things I did not know then. I can honestly say that the life we are living is not scary at all. And so I tried to put into words some of the things that I thought might help a parent of a child newly diagnosed with autism.  

Don’t let the autism diagnosis intimidate you. Do give yourself some time. Do some reading. Ask some questions. Do not jump to conclusions. Do not let all the doctors, therapists, educators, or the price tag that comes with autism intimidate you. One day you will look back on this and wish you could reassure yourself because you’ve got this.

Don’t let the autism diagnosis cause you to feel sorry for yourself. Do count your blessings. In reality there are things so much worse than an autism diagnosis. Look around you. There are people dealing with truly tragic situations. Now, roll up your sleeves. Your role as your child’s advocate is going to keep you busy. Things are going to be okay.

Tate at Preschool
Don’t let the autism diagnosis cause you to forget. Do remember that sweet baby you fell in love with! He/she is still that child! Don’t become so caught up in the present or so fearful of the future that you forget what’s important. Don’t forget that you are your child’s parent first and his teacher/therapist second.    

Don’t let the autism diagnosis leave you feeling self-conscious or paranoid. Do understand there is no guilt to be had or blame to be placed. There is nothing you could have done differently to prevent your child’s autism. I will not lie. If your child melts down, or engages in stereotypic behaviors in public, there will be stares. There will possibly be rude questions and awkward silences. There will probably be people who think your child needs discipline when, in fact, discipline would be pointless. Don’t let people who are uneducated about autism cause you to feel humiliated. Know this: It does get easier with time.

Don’t let the autism diagnosis isolate you. Do reach out for help. It is true that some people unfamiliar with autism might stop coming around after the diagnosis. They do not understand the behaviors, the meltdowns, the necessity for routine, and the jargon we speak. If you find yourself in need of understanding, find a parent who has already walked a few miles in your shoes. Online groups can be helpful. There are most-likely support groups and other parents in your situation within driving distance. Look to public schools and recreational activities in your area, as well as religious programs. There is a lot of camaraderie in the autism community. Reach out. We help each other. 

Tate's poor motor skills and refusal of foods
often meant someone needed to help him.
Older siblings were always willing to help.
Don’t let the autism diagnosis rob your other children. Do explain autism to your children and what it means to your family. A child with autism will likely need more care than his siblings. Reassure your other children often and show them how important they are to you. When possible try to include all your children in the therapies and activities your child with autism needs. There may be many things your other children want or need that your child with autism cannot participate in. Sometimes your other children will have to have your undivided attention too. Your world cannot ALWAYS revolve around the child with autism.

Don’t let the autism diagnosis steal your joy. Do maintain a sense of humor. You have a choice. You can dwell on all the what-ifs and the should-have-beens and become bitter or you can accept what is and look for the joyous moments around you. Having a child with autism will not suck all the fun out of life. A sense of humor can help you tremendously. The fact is, autism or not, kids are fun and kids say and do really funny things. Enjoy those things. Don’t let autism silence the laughter in your home.

Don’t let the autism diagnosis squash your hope. Do be willing to dream a little differently. Before the autism diagnosis you were possibly envisioning driver’s education, college, a wedding, and grandchildren. Don’t stop dreaming dreams for your child. Those things still might happen. If, as your child ages, it becomes clear some of those things will not be happening, then modify your expectations. But stay motivated to help your child become the best that he can be.

Don’t let the autism diagnosis cause you to doubt your faith. Do take advantage of the things autism can teach you. God does not “zap” families with autism because they’ve been “bad.” Many parents of children with autism report they have become much more patient and understanding people since their child’s autism diagnosis.

Don’t let the autism diagnosis pull you into frivolous debates. Do use your time and energy wisely. You have got important things to be doing. Focus your attention, time and energy on your children and their needs. Don’t get caught up in the autism community debates that lead to nowhere. Whether or not you choose to use the word “autistic” or the phrase “person with autism” is no one’s business but your own. Your right to disclose your child’s diagnosis to everyone in your community or keep it in house is also your own. These kinds of disputes are not helpful and only cause division in the autism community. Don’t get involved. Your time is much too valuable.

I can imagine what you are feeling. I have been there. Autism is like a thief in many ways. It has been known to rob children of their childhoods. It can sometimes steal the joy and hope from parents. Autism has drained a lot of bank accounts and has ruined marriages. But it does not have to be that way. Don’t let an autism diagnosis do those things to you.

If you liked this post you might also one of these: It's Not Such a Bad Life or: 15 Truths of Parenting Special Kids or: There is No One to Blame.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking "your" time to write this article for anyone or people w an autistic child, or more personally me. It means a lot someone w 7? children will take time out of their very busy life to write(also so eloquently and cohesive and helpful) an article. I have recently read many disturbing articles on autism that our current austistism movements are focusing mainly for n correcting our autistic children, behavior modification, and several men who have subject these children to absolute torture, the knowledge made m sick, yet made me think. Are movement s are too focused on the Parents, and leave out the adults who struggle w autism, also focus on put ng our autistic children in a box w several, no many, programs offered to my dify their behavior so they can "fit in." IMO autistic behavior, for the most part, unless of course it will lead to self harm or harming others, things like rocking, repeating phrases, fidgeting, etc should be accepted by society. An autistic person does not need to conform to society, Society needs to find ACCEPTANCE,if u have to ride out a public tantrum, the people at the grocery should meet and their business and do their own thing. Accept t austism as they are, in as much is safe, just like others in society want to be accepted for who they are. Stop trying to CURE autism. Focus on the austistic child or adult, still leaving a movement for the parents. Would u be willing to guide me in spreading this into the autism movement, I need a mentor, I need guidance, I need help (I also fit on the spectrum) writing a eloquent, cohesive article that isn't all over the place. I would like u help me insert the envelope of these ideas and give them momentum in the great world renowned autism movements. Are u willing to mentor me?
    Stephanie Lentz Morrison
    Contact 248lentzs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie. Thanks for the comments you've left today. You are such an encourager. I am definitely not a therapist or a teacher. I'm just a mom. I'm not the one you would want helping you with your movement of unconditional acceptance. I have actually used a lot of the behavior modification with Tate, especially when he was very young. We did ABA therapy and intense early intervention. Tate had basically become "lost" to his stims. Luckily we were able to bring him back in a way by helping him to focus and eliminating many of his stereotypic behaviors. Good luck to you and thanks so much for reading my posts. I appreciate it. -Lisa

      Delete
  2. Jose Andrews is my name, Some people keep questioning God, asking him why he allowed Satan to put in the world deadly diseases, but they never know that anything happening in this life, is just for a particular reason. Here is my story on how I was cured of schizophrenia by a herbal doctor Uwadia Amneifo using his herbal mixture. Few months ago, I realized I had some problem with my system, and later on I begin to forget things easily. I complained to my doctor after his text he said just a little problem with me, but that soon I will be fine. He prescribed for me and I was taking medicine according to his prescription but my condition was getting worse instead of coming down. So I went back to my doctor after some time, he said am having issues with my brain, this continues gradually until it became worse and I was diagnosed of schizophrenia and this disease is also known as Asperger's Syndrome. My doctor told me there is no cure to this disease that I have to live and die with it. It continued for one month and my system was almost shutting down before my cousin brother came to my house to visit and broke to us the news about a herbal doctor he heard about called doctor Uwadia Amenifo that cured some body of Stevens Johnson Syndrome. So he explained how he heard about this herbal doctor uwadia Amenifo and the kind of terrible diseases this doctor have cured. His words were very impressing and I had to give the doctor a try. We made contact with him and he said he can cure me. So my cousin made all necessary arrangement with him, and he prepared herbs and send to me in USA. I took the herbs according to his prescription and behold to cut long story short his herbs works perfectly well, and cured me of my schizophrenia. Today I am hale and healthy and evidence of my healthiness can been seen in this piece of note I wrote myself to tell the world about Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. Please if you know anyone suffering from brain disease, in a hurry contact Doctor Uwadia Amenifo on his email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), and his cell no is +2349052015874. I wish all suffering from brain problem quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://pramcover.com/ is the fun, friendly spot for style and fashion for stroller and baby strollers that’s and unique as you are!

    ReplyDelete